Dear little sister,
It’s school time again. Don’t make that face. I know you’re not ready to engage into another academic activity again. You didn’t fully enjoy your summer yet, you’ll say. Don’t worry; I actually share the same sentiments with you. However, please do bear in mind that Mom and Dad, as well as the rest of your friends and relatives are rooting for you. No, we’re not asking you to go study 24/7. We just want you to make the most of the privileges that you have right now. You are very much lucky to be in a school most youngsters of our place are dreaming of. You own a great number of shoes, bags and make-up kits. Though you are commuting in going to school, remember that you are very much lucky in comparison to those who need to walk kilometers and even cross seas and rivers just to attend class. You see, there’s a lot of things to be grateful of than to complain about your bad hair day or get pissed in a comment on your selfie in Facebook. I don’t want to sound like Mom, but before you go to school, please do remember the following:
- Do not hurry up in growing old. Take every chance and make the best of your youth. Do stupid things with your friends but make your sure you’ll not get expelled or bring Mom and Dad to the Discipline’s Office.
- Choose your friends wisely. I tell you, you don’t need many friends. It’s good to keep a few whom you are very sure to be there when the world walks out and who’s ready to listen to your stories, rants and sentiments. You don’t need to keep a company where you can’t laugh your ass as loud as you can, fart whenever you want and steal food from each other.
- Finish school. Sure, you are anxious about a degree you are not sure that suits you or studying in a school that you think will not be the best for you, but remember that there’s a purpose why you are there. It’s either you need something from that school or the school needs you. I don’t know which is which but I know that you have to do your best always. Whether it’s your choice to be there or you’re forced to, at least finish what you have started. I tell you, the world of employment is too harsh for those who don’t have a degree. I know the certificate that you are more than what the certificate that you will receive tells about you, but it’s better to be prepared just in case worst comes to worst.
- The right guy is just around the corner making his own destiny. So should you. Probably you are eyeing already a cute guy on the other column or from the other section or year level. That’s normal and technically part of growing up. However, always keep in mind to be in constant control of your hormones. I know this is quite an exaggeration, but I wouldn’t like you to settle for a guy who’s not really worth it. Most importantly, I don’t like the idea of you getting married or pregnant ahead of me. Let me do it first. Remember that when love is true, everything run smoothly at the right time and with the right person. Want evidence? Check out what happened to Isa and Denz.
- Keep learning. Do not settle for what you learn from your teacher or professor. Do something to harness your skills. Join workshops. Volunteer in community enrichment programs. Jam with boys and ask them to teach you with any musical instruments. Participate in school plays. These activities might seem unnecessary, but believe me when I say that they’ll help you develop into a better person. A better individual this country needs.
Actually, there’s a lot of things that I want to say to you but I know you’re attention span is running out and my fingers are already tired of encoding this letter. Before I end, let me tell you the most important thing that you have to do. Love yourself above all things. Beautify yourself but do not apply excessive make-up. Talk to yourself and compliment when necessary. Feel pretty and radiate goodness to others. Do this in moderation of course. I don’t want a narcissistic sister. The world is already full of those kinds. I don’t want you to add to the long list.
P.S. I love you. And someone, somewhere loves you too. Someone, somewhere is looking up to you. Always remember that.
Your sister from another mother.
And by the way, I’m the only girl in our family. 😀